Karen McAvoy, Psy.D
• Dually credentialed as a Clinical and School Psychologist.
• Karen has 28 years of experience in education; 20 of those years in a school district holding positions as School Psychologist, coordinator of the Traumatic Brain Injury Team, Coordinator of Mental Health services and Coordinator of Manifestation Determinations.
• Karen was the School Psychologist at Grandview High School when Jake Snakenberg passed away from Second Impact Syndrome in 2004.
• As a result, Karen authored REAP - a community-based inter-disciplinary team approach to concussion management used in numerous school districts around Colorado and is customized in 8 states (andcounting).
• She is also the Co-founder and Co- Owner of the GetSchooledOnConcussions.com trainings which empowers educators to guide the Return to Learn components of concussion management.
• For the past 8 years, Karen has split her time between being a Brain Injury Consultant with the Colorado Department of Education and the Director of the Center for Concussion with Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children.
• Currently, Karen is the Director of the Concussion and NeuroHealth Center at Berkana Rehabilitation Institute in Ft Collins, CO.