One Day Concussion Management Training for School Nurses, School Staff and other Professionals who work with Concussed Students
The Concussion Conference 2.0
Wednesday, May 7, 2014 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Quinnipiac University School of Medicine | 370 Bassett Road | North Haven, CT
Due to the overwhelmingly positive response from 78 School Nurses, 25 MDs, and 25 ATs who attended the Jan 2014 Concussion Conferences and requests for more concussion management training, this new conference includes both:
- Advanced training with case studies for those who attended the 1st conferences to return for a higher level of study
- Basic foundation sessions for new participants
This conference will provide basic and advanced concussion management training for:
- School nurses
- School psychologists
- School guidance counselor/social workers
- School special education directors
- 504 Coordinators
- Athletic Trainers
- Physicians, PAs, and APRNs
See Flyer May2014 Concussion Conf_@QU(4)
Speakers for The May 7 Concussion Conference include nationally known experts and panels of local concussion professionals comprised of pediatricians, physical therapists, neuropsychologists, and advocates of brain injury prevention and athletic training education: Dr. Tricia McDonough-Ryan, Dr. Thomas Trojian, Katherine Snedaker MSW, Dr. David Wang, Dr. Mike Lee and the team of experts from Gaylord Center for Concussion Care, Representative from CATA; Deb Shulansky from Brain Injury Alliance of CT (BIAC); Brain Injury attorney and BIAC Board member Paul A. Slager; Charlie Wund, Founder & President Agency for Student Health Research; and Dr. Karissa Niehoff, The Executive Director at CT Association of Schools and CT Interscholastic Athletic Conference
Register now at TheConcussionConference.com - Early bird pricing until Monday, April 7
Co-sponsored by Gaylord Center for Concussion Care
Each participant will be trained and will leave with a framework and materials needed to create a Concussion Management Team. The purpose of the CMTeam is to handle the 80% of concussions that resolve in the first month, based on research and nationally recognized best practices. For concussions that last beyond the 4 week period, academic accommodations will be taught which can be created in an IEP or a 504 plan for those students.
Early Morning Sessions are split between:
Foundation for First Time Participants
- Concussion 101 for School Staff and Medical Providers
- Concussion’s Impact on School: Strategies and Adjustments in the First 3 Weeks
- Time to Retire? Factors in a teen’s decision to retire from contact sports
Advanced Case Studies for Participants from 1st conference or Concussion Professionals
- Presentation of Case Study #1: A case from Gaylord Center for Concussion Care
- Presentation of Case Study #2: A case from Dr. Ryan and Kim Zemo, Social Worker
Late Morning and Afternoon Sessions for All Participants
- Existing Models of Concussion “Return to School” Plans in the USA and CT
- The Timing of Return to Learn (RTL), “Buffalo Protocol,” Return To Play in Student Athletes
- Beyond the Diagnosis: Eyes, Balance and Gait
- Post Concussion Syndrome: Depression, Isolation and Identity Loss, CTE Fact & Fiction
- Post Concussion Syndrome: Academic Modifications After One Month, Home Life Support
- New Research on “Does Concussion Education Work” and Concussion Resources
- The Past: State of CT Concussion Law and Development of Module #15
- The Present: CIAC’s Concussion Policy and Connecticut Law
Continuing Education Credits
- Gaylord Hospital is an Approved Provider of Continuing Nursing Education by The Connecticut Nurses’ Association, an Accredited Approver by the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. CNE application is pending for this program.
- This program has been submitted to The Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide case managers pending clock hours.
- This activity is pending approval from the National Association of Social Workers.
- Program pending CME Activity approval via CT AAP.
Register now at TheConcussionConference.com
To participate as a conference sponsor or exhibitor, please contact Katherine at 203.984.0860 or Katherine@PinkConcussions.com
<May2014 Concussion Conf_@QU(4).pdf>